Gathering of Nations Powwow 2017 FAQ (Facts, Answers & Questions):
PLEASE NOTE: Your safety and positive experience at the Gathering is our #1 GOAL. The Gathering of Nations is a BIG event and has the challenge of ensuring that a large crowd has a great experience. With this spirit in mind, the Gathering of Nations and other agencies take measures to ensure the best possible experience for all attendees. Please respect and cooperate with all G.O.N. Staff, Security, and Fire Marshals and please enjoy your Gathering of Nations experience!
We suggest that you arrive early in anticipation of heavy traffic as well as ALL BAGS AND OTHER ITEMS WILL BE SUBJECT TO SEARCH AS YOU ENTER THE POWWOW GROUNDS AT EXPO NM FOR THE GATHERING OF NATIONS. This is to ensure the safest environment for everyone attending.
Smoking is not allowed in the buildings at Expo NM
Aisles inside Tingley Coliseum must be kept open for safety and will be strictly monitored by the State Fire Marshal, GON & Expo NM
NO Hoover Boards, Skateboards, Roller skates, Bikes, Heelys, or other recreational mobile devices will be allowed.
Audio recording from the Dance Floor or AROUND THE DRUMS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED AND WILL BE ENFORCED.
Handicap seating will be available in several locations inside Tingley Coliseum and usher will be available for assistance.
VIP Seating is not Handicap accessible.
DO NOT LEAVE BAGS UNATTENDED! Unattended bags will be removed and taken to the lost and found at the Powwow.
Lost and Found will be taken to the Event Command Post. If you lost an item at the Gathering of Nations you can
EMAIL our office AFTER the event and leave a detailed description of the item lost.
GLASS, FIREARMS (GUNS, ETC), WEAPONS (KNIVES, ETC) AND EXPLOSIVES/FIREWORKS ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED!
Announcers at the Powwow WILL NOT make announcements over the air for personal reasons. Please find a Security Person for assistance.
In the event of an Emergency Evacuation of Tingley or Expo NM, please go calmly to the nearest exit and listen for announcements.
ATM MACHINES will be available throughout the venue.
ONLY US CURRENCY WILL BE ACCEPTED AT THE GATHERING OF NATIONS TICKET OFFICE. Tickets purchased at the DOOR must be paid for in cash as credit cards will not be accepted.
DIRECTIONS: HOW TO GET TO EXPO NM & ALBUQUERQUE CONVENTION CENTER:
We expect tens of thousands of people will attend this year’s Powwow. Please plan ahead and allow extra time in anticipation of heavy traffic!
To access GATE 8, exit I-40 at Louisiana Boulevard and go South on Louisiana, and cross Lomas Boulevard and enter GATE 8 for Parking, Ticket Office & Event Entrance. To access Gate 7, exit I-40 at San Mateo Boulevard, and go South to Lomas Boulevard, turn left onto Lomas, then make a right turn at GATE 7.
As is customary for some larger scale EXPO New Mexico events, there are no left turns allowed into the fairgrounds starting on Friday and going through early morning on Sunday. State and local law enforcement will be providing traffic support during the event.
EXPO NM partners with Uber to provide efficient access onto EXPO NM property using dedicated gates. First time Uber users can get a free ride up to $15 for taking Uber to the Powwow utilizing the code: EXPONM Sign up by logging onto https://get.uber.com/exponm.
- Expo NM is located between Lomas Blvd and Central Ave & San Mateo Blvd and Louisiana Blvd.
- Special Event Parking is Not Allowed in Nearby Neighborhoods!!!!! You will be towed!!!
- Albuquerque Convention Center- Kiva Auditorium is located at 401 2nd Street NW (Downtown) Albuquerque, NM 87102.
- Getting to the ABQ Convention Center for Miss Indian World Traditional Presentations: Exit I-25 (South of the Interchange) at Martin Luther King Avenue. Head West on Martin Luther King Blvd. until you hit the cross at Broadway, drive up the bridge and enter on the left hand exit which will take you to the Convention Center Parking structure.
EMERGENCY CONTACT INFO:
- For any major Emergency dial 911 form your phone. For NON-Emergency help call the Albuquerque Police Dept (505) 242-2677
- Albuquerque Fire Department dial 911 for Emergencies ONLY!
- UNM Hospital is located at 2211 Lomas Blvd NE. Phone: (505) 272-2111
- Presbyterian Hospital is located at 1100 Central Ave SE. Phone: 505) 841-1234
SAFETY PSA ALBUQUERQUE POLICE DEPARTMENT:
ADMISSION, TICKETS, STROLLERS & EVENT/BUILDING CAPACITIES:
- Gathering of Nations Powwow & Miss Indian World Pageant- Everyone over 2 Years Old MUST HAVE A TICKET. Babies under 2 years old WILL NOT HAVE A SEAT AND MUST SIT ON A LAP WHEN ALL SEATS ARE FULL. EVERY EVENT IS AT OR NEAR CAPACITY MOST OF THE TIME, SO PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF OTHERS.
- Stroller Parking will be available at the Gathering of Nations as STROLLERS ARE NOT PERMITTED IN THE SEATING AREAS INSIDE TINGELY COLISEUM!
- There are no discounts for Groups, Military, Seniors or Children (accept under 2 years old)
- Every building at Expo NM has a building capacity, therefore when the building are at Full Capacity, people may have to wait a short time for the building to open, however, there are a lot of open spaces and activities on the Powwow Grounds as well as Big Screens will be located in areas outside for viewing. Building capacities are set and enforced by the NM Fire Marshal and Expo NM.
WHAT DOES MY TICKET/WRISTBAND (ADMISSION) GIVE ME ACCESS TO?
- POWWOW: Held in Tingley Coliseum your admission gives you access to GON PowWow, Stage 49, Food Court, Indian Trader's Market & other open areas of the Powwow Grounds.
- MISS INDIAN WORLD: Held in Albuquerque Convention Center- Kiva Auditorium your admission gives you access to the 2017 Miss Indian World Talent Presentations.
POWWOW PARKING & CAMPING:
- Parking for the General Public will be inside of GATE 8 off of Louisiana Blvd (enter on the right-hand side of street, going Southbound) AND GATE 7 off of Lomas Blvd (East bound from San Mateo Blvd). GIVE YOURSELF EXTRA TIME AS TRAFFIC WILL BE HEAVY.
- Parking fees will be charged daily by Expo NM ( GON doesn't handle any parking thus it is managed and maintained by Expo)
- Parking lot(s) will be for parking during the event, any cars left overnight will be towed away. Camping in the Parking LOT(S) IS NOT ALLOWED AND WILL BE REMOVED AND TOWED.
- CAMPING: There is a designated area for campers who have purchased their camp spaces in advance. Campers will enter GATE 3 off of San Pedro Blvd ( enter on the right hand side of street, going Northbound on San Pedro). NO DAY OF CAMPING RESERVATION. YOU CANNOT ARRIVE TO CAMP WITHOUT PRE-PAID RESERVATIONS.
- RV campers will have full water and electrical hook-up, Dry camping means you will only have your camp slot (it is on pavement/no grass/ NO TENTS). All Campers will have access to bathrooms and showers.
- CAMPING: There will not be open fires in the campground, Partying or Loud music, talking, etc is not allowed and will be enforced. Security will be assigned to the camping area to ensure all campers are safe.
TINGLEY COLISEUM SEATING FOR POWWOW:
BLANKETS OR OTHER ITEMS TO HOLD SEATS IS NOT ALLOWED & WILL BE ENFORCED!!! PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF EVERYONE WHO HAS PAID TO SEE THE POWWOW & WOULD LIKE TO SIT DOWN. ONE PERSON=ONE SEAT!! Let's keep the Powwow enjoyable for all attendees & participants. It's for everyone to enjoy!!!
- General Admission (Single day tickets & Two-Day Wristbands) may sit in any seat in Tingley Coliseum that is NOT DESIGNATED AS VIP, RESERVED OR STAFF.
- VIP SEATING: will be designated and assigned. If you purchased VIP seating, you will be assigned a Box Seating Area. This will be given to you at WILL CALL.
- ADVANCED TICKET PURCHASES MUST TAKE CONFIRMATION TO WILL CALL TO RECEIVE TICKET(S)/WRISTBANDS FOR THE EVENT.
- Picnic table seating will be available throughout the outdoor Food Court and Stage 49 areas.
- Seating inside Tingley Coliseum is a combination of chair back and bleacher seats.
- With your ticket you may come and go to the outdoor areas: Stage 49, Food court, Indian Traders' Market and sitting areas.
- There is NO SMOKING inside any of the buildings or at Stage 49. There are designated smoking areas throughout the outdoor areas.
- We encourage guests/participants/friends to leave extra bags, suitcases & large items in the TRUNK of YOUR VEHICLE and NOT bring into Tingley Coliseum. Seating is limited and bags WILL NOT be permitted to sit in chairs!!!
ALBUQUERQUE CONVENTION CENTER SEATING FOR MISS INDIAN WORLD TALENT PRESENTATIONS:
Located on the upper level of the West Complex, the Kiva Auditorium boasts a proscenium stage and half-round seating for 2,300 people. Everyone over 2 Years Old MUST HAVE A TICKET. Babies under 2 years old WILL NOT HAVE A SEAT AND MUST SIT ON A LAP WHEN ALL SEATS ARE FULL. EVERY EVENT IS AT OR NEAR CAPACITY MOST OF THE TIME, SO PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE OF OTHERS.
PETS AND SERVICE ANIMALS:
- The Gathering of Nations follows the rules on Qualified Service Animals of Expo NM. Service animals and animals used for persons with disabilities are permitted, however, the owner of the service animal may be liable for any damage done by the service animal or harm to another person. Owners and handlers are responsible for cleaning up after their service animals on the grounds at Expo NM. Any other questions or concerns call Expo NM.
- Pets that are not qualified service animals are not allowed on the grounds at Expo NM or at the Gathering of Nations Powwow. If you are camping and have a pet at your camp, they must stay at your camp as they will not be allowed in the event.
CHECK BACK FOR MORE FAQ INFORMATION UPDATES